Friday 12 April 2019

Still Quarrying 33 - Kindness.

When all this started ten years ago I had a number of tests to go through: blood analysis, MRI scan, x-ray, bone marrow analysis.  Each was demanding in its own way but more particularly the MRI scan.  Things have moved on but at the time it was claustrophobic with head clamped, a heavy pad placed on the chest and, of course, very little room for movement.  At times I was instructed to hold my breath for what seemed a lung-bursting time and being a full-body scan it lasted a full hour.  I was allowed to listen to music and left that to the discretion of the operators so I have the indelible memory of hearing Dolly Parton pleading with Jolene not to take her man and Tammy Wynette exhorting all wronged women nevertheless to stand by their men.  ‘Sometimes it’s hard to be a woman . . .’  

However, a stronger memory will always be the sense of care that filled the scanning suite.  I don’t know how many people had passed through that day but the staff managed to convey the sense that they were waiting just for me.  They were sensitive to my vulnerability and the challenge that lay ahead, did everything to put me at ease and were patient with questions they must have heard dozens of times before.   During the actual scan there were frequent enquires as to how I was doing along with the  reminders to stay as still as I possibly could.    

It was difficult but you have to keep your mind settled on the reality that if they are going to get to the root of the problem this is something you have to undergo.  That along with the assurance that God is as much present in a cramped MRI scanner as He is in the most breathtaking landscape helped me through: ‘Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?’  (Psalm 139: 7)

When it was all over I was exhausted but dressed again and about to leave I felt a deep impulse to say to all the staff: ‘Thank you for your kindness.’  I was in no doubt that something came from them that strengthened me from within.  From that moment I believe I have been more sensitive to the value of kindness when it touches me. Not that this should be a surprise.  When Paul was analysing the conflict at the heart of every Christian life between ‘the sinful nature’ and the Holy Spirit he saw the Spirit setting the pace for us in seeking to produce ‘love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.’  (Galatians 5: 22-23).  

The commentators sometimes have some difficulty sorting out the distinctiveness in each of these qualities but Joseph A. Pipa is surely close to the mark:

‘Kindness is the gracious attitude that seeks the well-being of our neighbour.  It is . . . the exercise of compassion and tenderness . . . We promote greatness in our children and one another by gentleness and kindness, by having a heart that reaches out to and longs to see good things come to those around us.  We combine a kind countenance with kind words and acts as we interact with those whom God brings into our lives.  As we do so we manifest the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.‘  

However it is seen, none are in doubt that kindness is among the qualities of Christ-likeness and therefore flow from the very heart of God.  This is where God is seeking to lead us, to make us more like Jesus, and our response must always be ‘to keep in step with the Spirit’, to connect with the purpose God cherishes for our lives.   (Galatians 5: 25)   

I keep a photo in my study of myself crossing the line at the 1984 Glasgow Marathon.  We were in Stevenston at the time and in preparation I would often go out with some of the local runners.  I remember the first time I ran sixteen miles.  It was a very warm day, we hadn’t made any provision for water, and I think around the twelve mile mark I began to struggle.   Everyone else was a bit more experienced than I so it began to become more obvious.  However, probably the best runner of us all dropped back to give me some encouragement.  ‘Just keep on my shoulder,’ he said.  And when I seemed to be dropping back he would bark: ‘On my shoulder!  On my shoulder!’  The result was we came in ahead of the pack singing ‘Eye Of The Tiger.’  

God is calling us to stay on the shoulder of the Spirit, to practise those qualities that will bring his presence into our broken, confused and painful world.   And whenever we experience these qualities we are assured of His love for us and His good purpose for our lives.   Some might question if true kindness can flow from a life that does not acknowledge Jesus as Lord.  My response would be to affirm that we know when we have received a kind word or gesture and it is always good.  Our prayer should be that wherever the giver stands with Christ that they will come to acknowledge the source of that goodness that has made such a difference to another.  The power of all art is that in some way it connects with the Creator God.  The power of human kindness is that in some way it connects with the Compassionate God.   


My experience in the MRI suite did not invite deep analysis.  I knew I had been touched by something that went beyond professional competence and it was necessary to give thanks not only to the staff but also to the God who makes such kindness possible.