Friday 5 April 2019

Still Quarrying 28 - Progress!

It has been a heavy week with three hospital appointments behind me and one to go this afternoon.   The good news is that the treatment seems to be working.  What I call the ‘bad stuff’ in my blood has gone down and things look good for the future.  Certainly there is some way to go but let’s pray that the encouragements continue.  

Being back on chemotherapy means that the drug regime is stepped up and the side effects become  more intense.  At the moment this amounts to extreme tiredness and light-headedness which can be hard to cope with at times.  Once again I am grateful that I have Gabrielle to help me organise the medication.   As the Preacher says:

‘Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:  If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.’  (Ecclesiates 4: 9-12)


It’s hard to imagine having to deal with this on my own and yet I know that this is what many cancer sufferers are faced with.   There is not a lot of conversation in the waiting room at the Beatson but as I discreetly look round silent prayers are said for all.