Saturday 6 April 2019

Still Quarrying 29 - Overcoming.

David Owen’ s book In Sickness And In Power is a study of the effect of ill health on heads of government, not least on the important decisions that they have to make in relation to their country’s future.   He is uniquely placed to make a contribution having trained as a doctor but also serving as Labour Foreign Secretary under James Callaghan and co-founding  the Social Democratic Party of which he later became Leader.  

There are some fascinating insights into the lives of some of the most powerful people of the twentieth century and how they coped with illness.  Many made great efforts to cover up any sign of physical or mental weakness.  I was interested to learn that the French President Georges Pompidou was a myeloma sufferer but apart from a noticeable change in his appearance,  probably brought about by steroid treatment, this was never revealed before his death.  His wife only knew about it months before his death.  On the other hand the American Presidents Dwight Eisenhower and Ronald Regan discovered that there was nothing to be lost in being open about illness.   They were perceived to be pressing on despite their challenges and rose  in public esteem.  

Owen has little to say about the role of faith in the lives of the powerful but there are some insights which are consistent with Christian thinking.  In his Introduction he writes of Abraham Lincoln, the depression he suffered throughout his adult life, and how his leadership qualities were forged through his struggles.  He writes: ‘Few heads of government have borne that affliction for a longer period than Lincoln and yet he refused to be bowed down by it.‘   He was often visited by powerful suicidal impulses but says Owen: ‘It is probable  that overcoming or learning to live with his depression contributed to Lincoln’s character as President.’  

I am sure that Owen would not wish this kind of experience on anyone but it is significant that he sees something positive arising out of it which would ultimately be of benefit to the individual and others for whom he had responsibility.  The idea that the best of human qualities can arise out of the crucible of suffering is entirely consistent with the Judeo-Christian mindset.  We do not know for sure what was Paul’s ‘thorn’ and there are people who would argue that it was not a physical affliction but rather a spiritual disturbance brought about by problems in the Church.  I am not convinced by this.  The imagery he uses to describe the affliction in 2 Corinthians 12 is particular and it conveys debility and pain: ‘ . . . there was given me a thorn in my flesh , a messenger of Satan, to torment me.’  (verse 7).   Paul’s response was to pray repeatedly to be delivered but the answer he receives from God is: ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’  (verse 9)  This leads Paul to the startling conviction:  

‘Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  That is why for Christ’s sake, I delight in in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.’  (verses 9-10)

This is not easy and those of us going through their worst of times may be a long way from being as convinced as Paul.  But that is precisely why we need to keep company with him and the other voices of faith we hear in Scripture.  Voices that speak of that grace that can fill our lives when we feel that strength and peace have been evacuated from our souls.  Voices that speak of this as the Spirit’s opportunity to fill us with an assurance that can never come from any human source.   Voices that echo the great Voice seeking to find a place in our souls:

‘Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubles and do not be afraid.’  (John 14: 27)


‘I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world!’  (John 16: 33)