Sunday 31 March 2019

Still Quarrying 24 - Resurrection.

I’m told that today sees the start of British Summer Time - and I saw my first butterfly.   Not being too well versed in lepidoptery I can’t tell you what kind it was but it looked quite stunning.  

It’s not hard to appreciate why the butterfly was readily adopted by the Church as a symbol of the resurrection.  Beginning as rather unprepossessing caterpillars they shuffle off a rough and wrinkled exterior to emerge as one of nature’s most lively and colourful creatures.  Our resurrection bodies can be seen in the same way.  In death we leave behind the weakness and limitations of mortality and, as Paul would say, clothe ourselves with immortality.  (1 Corinthians 15: 54)   

In a day like today, warm and bright, I once stood at an open grave with the loved ones of a faithful Christian witness.  Before the coffin was lowered a butterfly flew out of the grave.  Some might say that from that moment any words were unnecessary but for me this was a confirmation of the words of Jesus, the greatest promise ever heard by human ears:  ‘I am the resurrection and the life.  If anyone has faith in me, even though he dies he will come to life.  And no one who is alive and has faith in me will ever die.’  (John 11: 25-26).  


Years ago I was given a gift of the Worship Book of the Presbyterian Church USA.  On reading the contents pages I was a bit perplexed not to find any services for funerals.  Then it clicked.  They were listed under ‘Witness To The Resurrection.‘  With the many options open to people with regard to funerals and the pressures on the Church to fall into line with expectations I hope we will never lose sight of that aspiration, to bear witness to the hope of resurrection which can only be found in Jesus.