Sunday 10 March 2019

Still Quarrying 4

It was Easter Day 2009 and it felt strange to be sitting in a pew instead of standing in a pulpit.  I had been signed off sick and this was my second Sunday away from St Paul’s.  As I looked around the city centre Church I saw two other ministers.  One I knew was recovering from serious surgery and the other I found out later had been struggling with a stress related illness.  At one level, it might have been best if we had stayed at home.  I know my mind wasn’t fully focussed and it was an effort to sing even the majestic Easter hymns.  But today of all days we wanted to be with God’s people, to draw strength from the fellowship and to hear the preached Word.   

I would like to be in Church this morning.  I had hoped that it might be possible for me to continue to attend but at the moment energy and concentration are low.  I have to learn to be content with my present circumstances in the spirit of Philippians 4: 11-13:

‘...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.’


I may not be with God’s people today but I know I am remembered.  Paul’s experience in Lystra comes to mind in Acts 14.  He had been stoned almost to death ‘but after the disciples had gathered round him, he got up and went back into the city.’  (verse 20).  I’m not physically present but certainly held in prayer. That is a ‘gathering round’ which encourages me to hold a vision of a return to the city.