Tuesday 12 March 2019

Still Quarrying 6

I still have my first edition of ‘Joni’ published n 1978 and although I wasn’t there I remember her coming to Pickering and Inglis Bookshop in Bothwell Street Glasgow to sign copies.   

Joni Eareckson’s story is well known, at least within the Church.  Paralysed from the neck down after a diving accident at the age of 17 she has over the last 50 plus years developed a worldwide ministry which has touched the lives of millions.  Her books contain challenging insights into the nature of suffering and its place in Christian experience.   I remember being taken aback with her confident declaration that she is a better person paralysed than she would ever have been able-bodied!  But that’s Joni.  Meeting the challenge head-on and trusting in the ways of our Heavenly Father however baffling they may be at times.  

Naturally she frequently addresses the issue of healing.  This has caused her some heartache over the years.  Not so much that she has remained unhealed but due to the insensitive and frankly ignorant comments of fellow Christians.  She still has people suggest that her remaining paralysed is a result of unconfessed sin.  Thankfully she is able to maintain a proper perspective on this.  She prays for healing but if it doesn’t happen she accepts this as God’s good and loving plan for her life.  So much has been achieved for the good of others and the advancement of Christ’s Kingdom because of that diving accident.  

I have been rereading ‘A Place Of Healing‘ published in 2010 where she documents the onset of chronic pain which leaves her greatly debilitated.  Since then she has had two bouts of cancer one of which is still currently under treatment.   I confess I did say: ‘Lord, don’t you think she has had enough?‘   But her response to this remains the same as it has to all the physical trauma she has suffered:

“When I received the unexpected news of cancer from my oncological surgeon, I relaxed and smiled, knowing that my sovereign God loves me dearly and holds me tightly in His hands.  What good is it if we only trust the Lord when we understand His ways? That only guarantees a life filled with doubts.”

Again, I think perspective is the key here.  Joni has always been clear that the biggest problem in her life is not disability or cancer but that tendency we all share to block God out of our lives.   And it’s true.  If my cancer disappeared tomorrow I would still have a battle with my selfishness and willful resistance to God.  Healthy in body but still in need of a deeper healing.  Here’s Joni again:


‘The best thing about heaven will not be running or walking, touching or holding.  The best things about heaven  will be a pure heart no longer weighed down  by sin and selfishness.  And I can say that from this wheelchair.  Glorified bodies?  Hey, bring it on.  But a pure, glorified heart?  That’s the best.’  (‘A Place Of Healing’, p. 198).