Wednesday 4 April 2012

Good Friday At The Cathedral


I am very happy to be taking part in the Three Hours Devotion this year at Glasgow Cathedral - especially as the 30th Anniversary of my Ordination there is next month.
You won’t find too many Presbyterian churches engaging in this.  As far as I can gather it was the idea of a Jesuit priest in the eighteenth century.   He saw the benefit of focussing on the words Jesus spoke from the Cross as a means of understanding more about the Passion.  I don’t know when this started at the Cathedral but it is one of the high points of the Christian year there.  There will be seven preachers in all, each taking one of the sayings of Jesus as a focus for his/her preaching.  Hymns are sung and prayers are said in between each one.  The whole thing takes three hours but whenever I have taken part I have never found it heavy going.  But for those who have other pressing engagements, they can come and go during the hymns.