Friday 27 March 2020

Still Quarrying 115 - NHS Blue.

I suppose I should have known this but I have just found out that the official colour of the NHS is blue.  As well as the 8pm appreciation clap for the NHS some public buildings like Lincoln Cathedral on the left were lit up in blue.   This is more appropriate than many people will realise.  We often speak of people having the ‘blues’, being down in spirit.  But in the tradition of the Church blue has always symbolised health and hope.  So from now on whenever I see the NHS logo that will be an opportunity to give thanks for the work of all medical staff as they bring healing and hope to the nation.  

I am personally much in their debt.  The sensitivity and expertise of the Beatson Myeloma Team over the last ten years has been exceptional.   I have also benefited from the work of the Stem Cell Transplant Unit  at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in recent days.   In my two weeks as a patient the dedication and personal attention of doctors, nurses, auxiliary staff, dieticians, physiotherapists and cleaning staff all came together to make bearable a demanding experience.  I continue to be under the care of the Myeloma Team who have been keeping in touch since in the present climate I am considered to be in a vulnerable group.

Mention also has to be made of the Kersland House Surgery just minutes walking distance away from our home.  Doctors, nurses and receptionists have given me the best of attention in the past and even now with the demands of this unprecedented time.   


I was clapping for them all last night but even better than that holding them in prayer trusting that they will be kept strong and safe.